Thursday, December 30, 2010

Behavioral Patterns Are Set Early

I am a firm believer in that what happens to a person as a child stays with them throughout adulthood. I had some really crappy experiences that have put me in a position of always fearing, or questioning my own thoughts. Sure, as a healthy adult, a person who works hard at it can overcome some patterns set during childhood, but for people with certain differences in brain function, such as those with Apergers, it's not always possible.

When I was a child I got a lot of "who do you think you are? Mr Know-it-all?" from my family. To that I'd say no, and then try to explain where I got the information from. but I'd have a hard time recalling the details. Often the information was just some little news blurb from Good Morning America, or some such. My family would then laugh and say, "Oh, he's just Mr Know-few-things." They'd all have a good laugh at that, and I would cringe for thinking I made of fool of myself. Of course my family had no other reply. They couldn't prove me wrong, couldn't counter whatever I said with better information, they just didn't like what I told them, and seemed to resent that I knew something that they didn't.

I was always a quiet kid. I recall family members remarking about how quiet I was. Being harangued for occasionally opening my mouth, only made me quieter. And made my social anxieties worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment