Monday, June 16, 2008

The Long And Winding Road

No one becomes homeless overnight, and so it should be understood that leaving homelessness doesn't happen overnight either.

It is a long and painful journey that leads to homelessness, whereby a person loses all their resources, and all their associations with others whom might help them stay out of homelessness. Generally, homelessness is the result of a great amount of personal loss. So, many homeless people end up on the streets after a divorce, or after the death of a loved one, especially a child of their's has died. For many others, their mental illness is not recognized as such by friends and family, and they assume the actions of the mentally ill person to be a personal affront. And, instead of feeling compassion towards this person, and seeking help for him or her, they disassociate themselves from this person.

My own personal mental illnesses led me to do things that my parents and other family members took as personal offenses. They believed I was doing these things purposely and with malice towards them, which was not the case at all, buy yet they were quick to rid themselves of me, instead of seeking help for me. And this more than anything else, opened the door to my first homeless experience.

Its seems odd to me, but when I did something like attempt suicide, my parents somehow twisted it into something that I was doing to them. They didn't consider the anguish I must have been going through to want to kill myself. Instead, they only concerned themselves with how this action affected them.

And so it strikes me funny, how there is all this misery on the streets, all these homeless people suffering from the worst conditions, and we have all these wealthy and relatively healthy people living in luxury condos in downtown, and all they ever talk about is how homelessness is a detriment to them - how having homeless people near their homes negatively affects their own downtown living experience.